Do you have an itchy left palm? Are you somebody that is surrounded by superstitious beliefs?
According to Oxford Learners Dictionary a superstition can be defined as, “the belief that particular events happen in a way that cannot be explained by reason or science; the belief that particular events bring good or bad luck”
Superstitions are something a majority of people believe in; they make us feel in control when life is seemingly out of control!
Belief in superstitions is a common trait that crosses most cultures and ethnicities.
Most people living in the world believe in some kind of superstition or the other, no matter what age, upbringing or education you’ve had.
What does it mean when you have an itchy left palm?
In today’s world, we are all running behind money, it can be in different forms and it is something that everyone is prepared to work hard for.
A lot of the time, hard work and dedication can only take you so far, there is also luck involved.
An itchy left palm means money is coming your way, there are also a few people that believe that scratching your itchy palm on wood guarantees good fortune.
This good fortune can come in various shapes and forms.
You could win the lottery or score a free meal at your favorite restaurant. You could get a promotion or maybe you finally get an offer on that used phone you’re trying to sell.
Anything is possible really, if you believe.
According to the Psychology Today,
Beliefs are our brain’s way of making sense of and navigating our complex world.
They are mental representations of the ways our brains expect things in our environment to behave, and how things should be related to each other—the patterns our brain expects the world to conform to.
Ideally, I wouldn’t expect you to do anything rash just because your left palm was itchy!
Even though, I’m sure you’ve heard the story of Mary Shammas:
In 2010, She was riding a bus in Brooklyn, New York and her only intention was to get home.
Until she noticed that her left hand was extremely itchy, knowing about this superstition the first thing she did was get off the bus and buy a lottery ticket.
Wouldn’t you know it! That night she played her numbers and won $64 million dollars.
From riding a bus in Brooklyn to get home to a multi-millionaire overnight.
What about an Itchy Right Palm?
If you believe that your itchy left palm grants you fortunes, then the opposite is true if your right palm is itchy.
An itchy right palm could indicate that you are about to lose money, maybe it’s the end of the month and your bills are due or maybe a few unexpected expenses pop up.
Whatever the case, an itchy right palm could mean bad financial luck.
Saving money for these times is important.
Learn how to Budget By Paycheck or pay off debt faster using Gazelle Intensity.
How much money can you get with an itchy left palm?
Like I had mentioned earlier, an itchy left palm does not mean the same thing for everyone. Naturally, it will be extremely difficult for me to give you an exact figure.
This is a good time to talk about the meaning of financial fortune.
That definition can vary wildly depending on so many factors in your personal life including your starting point.
If I told you that you’d get a promotion and subsequently get a hike in your salary you’d probably be over the moon.
But, If I say that to a multi-billionaire, they probably wouldn’t have batted an eye, they already have more money than they know what to do with!
Also, I don’t think promotions apply to billionaires, Most of them are owners or CEO’s anyways!
Difference in meaning for Men and Women
Reading the heading I know what you’re thinking and yes, they may have different meanings.
As we’ve established, if you have an itchy left palm it means fortunes are coming your way ad the opposite is true for an itchy right palm.
But hold on, that’s true only for the ladies!
For Men it’s actually the opposite, an itchy right palm could mean that there is money coming in and an itchy left palm could mean money going out.
Of course, this totally depends on your culture, ethnicity and nationality since many cultures have different beliefs for this specific superstition.
What does it mean Medically?
Let me be honest, I’m no doctor!
But from the little research I have done, if you aren’t superstitious, itchy palms could also be signs of some serious medical conditions if you get them often.
According to Healthline.Com, the causes of itchy palms can be:
- Dry Skin: Winter weather could cause your skin to dry out, this could cause itching.
- Skin Damage: Certain chemicals or substances can irritate your hands, scrubbing or brushing can irritate your skin too.
- Allergic Reaction: If you have touched something you’re allergic to, you could experience itchy palms.
- Eczema: It is a condition that makes your skin itch. It may cause colored patches of skin in the affected area.
Of course, it goes without saying that if you experience itchy palms regularly and it causes a nuisance, please consult a licensed medical professional.
What does it mean Spiritually?
Faith, there Is so much power in faith because it has the ability to help you get rid of your doubts and stay positive.
In Hinduism, an itchy left palm is a good financial omen for females, while the opposite is true for men, if their right palm is itchy it’s considered a good financial omen.
The Goddess Lakshmi symbolizes good fortune, prosperity and fertility.
People in India believe that, for a female, an itchy left palm is supposed to bring her fortunes while an itchy right palm means that fortunes will be taken away.
Whereas in Christianity, the right hand has very important spiritual meanings.
Isaiah 41:13 says, “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you.’” Open your right hand in order to receive God’s blessing.”
Since the right hand is so important, they claim that having an itchy right palm means money will come in soon.
But, this superstition does not reveal how much money you can earn, just that you should be open to financial gain.
The opposite is true for an itchy left palm in Christianity however,
You might experience itching on your left hand when bills are due but you’re worried that you don’t have enough money to pay them.
It could also indicate a downward trend in the economy, stock prices or a rise in unemployment rates.
There is hope however,
To receive God’s help all we need to do is ask and it will be given to us (Matthew 7:7).
So as you can probably tell by now, how you perceive this superstition is extremely personal to you and your belief system.
Anything is possible, as long as you believe.
You may like: 88 Powerful Money Mantras That Will Work Instantly
Superstitions about other body parts
I know we are predominantly talking about itchy left palms, but have you ever wondered what it means when other body parts itch?
- An Itchy Forehead: This can mean one of two things, either your itchy forehead can be a sign of good luck or it can also signify sickness.
- Itchy Eyebrows: It is considered a good sign if both your eyebrows are itchy. If it’s just your left eyebrow it could mean your meeting someone that wishes bad for you. Meanwhile, if it’s only your right eyebrow it could mean your meeting someone that will stay a part of your life.
- Itchy Eyes: An itchy left eye can mean bad luck while an itchy right eye signifies good luck.
- An Itchy Nose: An itchy nose could mean that you are about to come across some company.
- Itchy Lips: It could mean that someone is speaking ill of you. In other cultures it could also mean that someone is about to kiss you or thinking of kissing you.
- An Itchy Chin: Itchy chins could mean that there is a big change that is about to take place in your life.
- An Itchy Neck: Your neck itching could signify that there is about to be an illness in your immediate family.
- An Itchy Back: This could mean that what you had planned could backfire.
- Itchy Elbows: Elbows that are itching could mean that you are about to find a new partner! It could be a professional partner or a romantic partner.
- An Itchy Ring Finger: No points for guessing this one! It signifies that you will get married soon.
- Itchy Knees: An itchy left knee means there’s a bad journey incoming, while the opposite is true for an itchy right knee.
More Interesting Money Superstitions
Now that we know that an itchy left palm is related to money, and depending on your personal beliefs it can mean money coming in, or out.
Let’s take a brief look at other interesting money superstitions:
1) Placing Coins On The Eyes Of The Dead
In Ancient Greece, they used to place coins on the eyes of the deceased, this was referred to as Charon’s Obol.
According to legend, these coins were a payment or bribe used to ferry the dead into the Under World.
This brought tremendous peace to the Ancient Greeks, knowing that their family members were safe.
2) The Number “8”
The number 8 is considered a lucky number in Japan, China, India and other East Asian cultures.
According to Wikipedia, Eight (八; accounting 捌; pinyin bā) is considered a lucky number in Chinese culture because it sounds like the word meaning to generate wealth (發(T) 发(S); Pinyin: fā).
3) Birds Pooping On You
I don’t know how to feel about this one!
Feels like I get bird poop on my windshield while I am driving all the time.
But, apparently birds actually pooping your person is still quite rare, and is considered a sign that wealth is coming.
Make the best out of a bad situation I suppose!
4) Purse On The Floor
I’m sure you’ve heard of this one!
Putting your purse on the floor is considered disrespectful in Chinese culture. It signals to the universe that you don’t value your money.
To be fair, floors are generally pretty dirty!
5) New Year, More Money!
There are various New Year money superstitions that exist.
The most common ones are:
- Money and Food Are Both Green: This must be an old wives tail! But it means that green foods are a sign of prosperity since they share the same color as money.
- Start The Year With No Debt: Try to not start the new year off with unpaid debts/loans. Keep yourself strapped with as much cash as you can to manifest more money for the upcoming year.
Other Posts You May Like: How To Get Ready For Christmas Early
Things To Sell To Make Money Fast!
Best Frugal Living Tips: 200 Ways to Save Money
Come and follow me on Pinterest for more money saving hints and frugal tips!
Last Updated on 11th January 2023 by Emma